Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Oracle Card


I decided to pull a card from my new deck, The Magical Menagerie by Mike Leslie, with illustrations by Eric Hotz. The deck offers “Personal Power through Animal Energies.”

The card I drew is the WYVERN. Each card in this deck is identified with a specific element or elements. For the Wyvern, it’s Fire and Water. Each card is also associated with a Direction (south southwest for the Wyvern), Time (July, 2 pm for the Wyvern), and Pace of Change (very rapid, cooling rapidly for the Wyvern).

Upright, the card is said to mean “courage, a champion, tenacity.” Reversed, it means “opposition, cowardice, threat.”

Mike Leslie explains that the Wyvern is the mid-stage of the development of the dragon. Born in the sea, dragons gradually develop legs and wings, gradually becoming “dragons proper.”

The Wyvern on this card seems very dignified and strong. His teeth are bared and his eyes squint a bit, suggesting to me that he does not suffer fools gladly. I certainly would prefer to have him on my side in a conflict! But the card can also mean that I am the Wyvern, the one who is going to stand up and defend a person or position, to take a leadership position, perhaps against authority.

Drawing the card reversed could indicate that I am facing powerful opposition or malevolent forces, and that I lack the support (internal or external) needed to overcome this threat. The card may be cautioning me not to be cowardly when faced with challenges, but also not to react in an overly fierce or uncontrolled manner.

Personally, I find that most challenges or threats to my well-being tend to come from within myself. As a creature of both Fire and Water, the Wyvern may be advising me that I have what I need within myself to confront and overcome my own detrimental emotions or actions.


In addition to my 60 Tarot decks, I own a great many oracle decks. I love these decks, but don't use them as often as I would like. Every now and then, I am going to share a card from one of these oracle decks here on the blog. I hope people will enjoy seeing cards from various decks and will gain something from the interpretations of the cards!

5 comments:

  1. I love this card! the little dragon already looks very powerful, I can see what you mean about having him on your side.

    I can personally relate to this piece you wrote "As a creature of both Fire and Water, the Wyvern may be advising me that I have what I need within myself to confront and overcome my own detrimental emotions or actions."

    I look forward to seeing and hearing more about this oracle deck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does look like a spunky fellow, doesn't he? The images on these cards are quite simple, not a lot of extra detail or "activity" in the cards. I suppose that could be considered a drawback, but I might find that I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh... I like this deck! Another one on the wish list :P

    Lovely post too, Zanna. I think the way forward is to just 'listen' to the Wyvern, as the deck (like you pointed out in your comment) doesn't have a lot of visual clues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, Idun, I like that: Listen to the Wyvern. That's exactly what I want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna