Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Old English Tarot: 7 of Coins

In today's blog entry, Helen Howell continues her exploration of cards from the Old English Tarot by Maggie Kneen (U.S. Games Systems, Inc.)

Old English Tarot
Seven of Coins
by Helen Howell


I’m back looking at the minor cards in the Old English Tarot Deck and today it’s the 7 of Coins. Now I always compare these cards to their traditional brother the Rider Waite Deck  and as I glance at these two cards side by side one significant difference hits me. In the Rider Waite we see an image of a man contemplating his harvest. It tends to speak to me of being at a crossroads and evaluating what you have achieved. The Old English image doesn’t appear to depict this element.

Let’s take a closer look at the image of the Old English and what the symbolism in it could mean. In the background we see a castle on a hill. This could suggest a goal or security.  The green hill could suggest for us how the earth nourishes, green being a colour associated with growth, expansion, balance, potential, fertility. The fields of wheat also indicate growth and abundance. The fruit tree laden with pears could represent good solid roots that have resulted in success. Two baskets are filled with produce, again showing abundance, a good harvest. The figure sits on the grass (green again) and appears to be counting out what looks like nuts. I have read that nuts or at least nut trees can be a symbol of perseverance.

Taking all of these images together it really does speak to me of having achieved a good result from putting in the effort and patience. Everything around the figure indicates success and progress. So unlike the Rider Waite image, which gives me a strong feeling of reevaluation, this Old English one, at least to me, speaks of success through hard work and the opportunity to reach one’s goal. However I am left wondering why the figure is counting those nuts? Perhaps after all there is an element of reevaluation tucked away in this card. You’ll have to make up your own mind about this one.

These interpretations are purely from my own perspective. You may see something totally different to me, and that’s ok too. If you do, don’t hesitate to share. We can all keep on learning.

LWB says:
Ingenuity, growth, progress, monetary gain, good result from work.
Reversed: Selfishness, avarice, bad debts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna