Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Excalibur Spread with The Arthurian Tarot

Recently I was looking through The Arthurian Tarot Hallowquest Handbook by Caitlin and John Matthews (The Aquarian Press), and noticed (not for the first time) that there are several really neat spreads in the back of the book. One of my favorites is the Excalibur Spread, which looks like this:


The meanings of the positions are:
1. Who I once was.
2. The lessons I learned in that incarnation.
3. The lessons which I failed to learn.
4. Who I am in this incarnation.
5. The things I find easy.
6. The things I find difficult to accept.
7. Recurrent problems.
8. The best method of confronting them.
9. This life’s challenging lessons.

For this reading I am using (what else?) The Arthurian Tarot, with cards illustrated by Miranda Gray. Here we go…

1. Who I once was. 

STONE QUEEN: The Queen of the Chessboard Castle; Queen Igraine, Arthur’s Mother

As a Queen, I channeled the energies of the Stone Hallow (element of Earth). Stable and dedicated, noble and practical, I understood the relationship between all life and the land. It was my purpose and pleasure to impart a sense of nurture and security to all I encountered. My gwyddbwyl board represented the land itself. The blackbird was my totem and companion.

2. The lessons I learned in that incarnation.

STONE THREE

In that incarnation, I learned to make and to shape, to use practical skills and creative instinct to bring together ideas and skills in organized pursuit of a goal. I worked with craftsmen and magicians alike in this pursuit, and reaped much honor and many rewards.

3. The lessons which I failed to learn. 

SPEAR KNIGHT

Alas, in that incarnation, I failed to learn the true strengths and weaknesses of the Spear Hallow (element of Fire). In spite of my innate stability and practicality (Stone Queen), I made hasty decisions and behaved impetuously, at times displaying a hot temper, expending valuable energy and enthusiasm on risky or false quests that took me farther from my goals.

4. Who I am in this incarnation. 

STONE MAIDEN

In this incarnation, I have retained my connections to the Stone Hallow, sworn to uphold it, but instead of being its Queen, I am a Maiden, a student of the mysteries of Earth. A raven has replaced the blackbird as my totem and companion. Like all Maidens, I am here to open new paths on the Hallowquest.

5. The things I find easy.

SWORD THREE

Unfortunately, I find it easy to dwell on sorrows, disappointments, loss, and “broken bridges”  – analyzing, over-analyzing, and brooding as if somehow that activity will eventually lead to relief or escape from the mental ordeal. This is especially easy at around 3:00 in the morning, if I happen to be awake at that hour for a “call of nature.” I find it easy to vacillate back and forth between blaming and justifying my past feelings, choices, and actions -- although these days, I do seem to be able to put a stop to it by simply saying, within my own mind, “Shut up.”


6. The things I find difficult to accept. 

SWORD FOUR

I find it difficult to accept that I need to do more to replenish my spirit, whether it be meditation or retreat of some kind. I need to reassess my “powers and limitations” in quiet seclusion. I find it difficult to accept that it might be possible to  “sink deeply into the peace of the spirit and wake refreshed for the quest.” Call me a skeptic.

7. Recurrent problems. 

STONE FOUR

Recurrent problems exist in the physical, material world, a realm that includes possessions, finances, health, and security. This refers to something I may be “hoarding” in some way, reluctant to share for fear that I will be left with nothing.

8. The best method of confronting them. 

THE GREEN KNIGHT (Key 15 – The Devil)

The best method of confronting those problems is to overcome any ignorance, self-limitation, and inflexibility that could be creating an obstacle for me. My own fears of what *might* or *could* happen are part of the problem.

9. This life’s challenging lessons.

PRYDWEN (Key 7 – The Chariot)

In this image, Arthur’s ship, Prydwen, sails into the entrance of the Underworld. The challenging lesson in this life is to learn that I can achieve victory and attain goals through self-confidence, self-discipline, and determination. I am indeed the “captain of my ship,” with abilities I can harness towards a purpose, even in the face of tests and trials. The challenging lesson is to learn not to give up or to let fear of failure put a stop to my progress even before it has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna